The Burnout Prevention Podcast on the "Relentless Dentist" show
I was asked to talk about burnout on a podcast from Karah at the "Relentless Dentist" show where they help dentists live their ideal lives. I am sure there is a lot of crossover in the way dentists and doctors feel the stresses of their practice and I was happy to share a half hour of all the things I have learned working with hundreds of over stressed physicians.
Scroll down to the bottom of the post and you can use the audio player to listen to the whole interview
Here is what we covered on the call:
- My history of career ending burnout as family physician
- What it feels like to hit the Brick Wall of physician burnout
- Why physician burnout is always accompanied by feelings of intense isolation
- How to disconnect being truthful from being vulnerable
- Why one of the prime directives of being a physician is "Show Now Weakness"
- Why I would never recommend walking away from your practice without a plan
- Why burnout is a big wakeup call
- Why the first thing you will question in burnout is "what is wrong with me"
- Why I named my business "The Happy MD"
- The four causes of burnout
- The Power of Mindfulness in your office day
- The Schedule HACK for work life balance
- The BID Team Huddle
- Making the big turn from avoiding the things you don't want to focusing on what you want
- The importance of your VISION and your Ideal Practice Description
- Why avoiding what you don't want is normal and hard wired into our central nervous system
- Trigger theory and why it is important to changing your habits
- Why being smart can get in the way of life and practice change
- Why burnout, your spouse and your kids don't care how much you know
- What you understand is meaningless without implementation
- The way to avoid Einstein's definition of crazy
- My favorite quotes
- "Crazy is doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result"
- "Be who you are and say what you feel because the people mind don't matter and those who matter, don't mind"
- The difference between a coach and a therapist
- Why you don't need to wait for a crisis. If you want something you can go get it. It is just a question of lowering your threshold for action.
Click the play button to hear the full conversation