Most physicians are scientists. We believe in evidence based recommendations and do our best to persuade by logic. Right?
Two signs this will not end well.
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW and let us know how you deal with these two issues in your conversations with patients.
1) Weaponized Social Media - FACEBOOK 3.8 BILLION Fake News Views (so far)
- "Groups and pages that spread misleading health news attracted an estimated 3.8 billion views on Facebook in the past year.
- 10 “superspreaders” of health misinformation racked up four times as many views as the top 10 leading global health agencies."
2) AntiVaxxers may be prevalent enough to prevent Herd Immunity
- Vaccine for "democrat"
- 81% YES
- 19% NO
- Vaccine for "republican"
- 47% YES
- 53% NO
Then Gallup quotes a fun fact all healthcare workers should be aware of:
"Such resistance is not unprecedented.
When Gallup in 1954 asked U.S. adults who had heard or read about the then-new polio vaccine, "Would you like to take this new polio vaccine (to keep people from getting polio) yourself?" just 60% said they would, while 31% said they would not.
So far, willingness to adopt a new vaccine looks similar today."
And in the middle of all of this - today's number is 922
922 US healthcare workers deaths from COVID-19 are currently under investigation
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT:
- Disinformation and fake news on social media?
- The safety and efficacy of vaccines?
- The toll this is taking on healthcare workers?