Are recent decreases in COVID-19 infections, hospitalizations and deaths just the eye of the pandemic hurricane or can we really see the end of this long, dark tunnel?
We are in a race with the virus' natural ability to mutate. Is this recent lull in the action a sign the end is near or just a brief respite and the worst is yet to come?
Disturbing signs out of Europe appearing just this week have raised new red flags for me.
What do you think?
Please take a look at these news articles from just the last couple of days and LEAVE A COMMENT below with your read of this volatile situation.
Personally, I am holding my breath until May 1st. If we don't have a fresh wave of virus in the US at that point, say the end of the tunnel is in sight. What do you think?
RECENT KEY NEWS ARTICLES:
Italy will go back into lockdown next week and shut the whole country down for Easter Weekend because of a variant surge.
France, Germany and Poland are not doing much better
And in the USA, multiple states are rolling back restrictions - some have completely eliminated them - in a clear bet that the pandemic is over that potentially puts lives on the line.
All while COVID-19 deaths roll on and healthcare workers bear much of the burden. 3544 healthcare workers have died of COVID-19 to date in the USA. The number may be higher by the time you click that link.
So the Race Is On
The outcome is not certain.
Will a combination of
- Spring and warmer weather
- Vaccination, infection and reaching the herd immunity threshold
- The slim prospect that the virus mutates to less virulent variants (say that three times fast)
Get us over the finish line.
OR will the experts who say this is just the Eye of the Hurricane be ultimately proven correct.
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT
What do you think?
- If COVID-19 was a baseball game, what inning are we in? (or is this the first game of a double header?)
- Will we see another major wave of infection/hospitalization/death in Europe and the USA before this is all over?
- Are you still wearing a mask?
- Are you immunized